Empirical Microeconomics Workshop
Coordinators: Fall 2016 - Jennifer Hunt
Spring 2017 - Amanda Agan & Ira Gang
- The seminars meet on Fridays in New Jersey Hall 3rd Floor Library from 2:00 to 3:30 pm unless otherwise Noted.
- Papers can be downloaded from the Department's website when available in advance.
- Schedule of Dates and Speakers may change.
Sarah Cohodes, Columbia University
"Can Successful Schools Replicate? Scaling Up Boston’s Charter School Sector"
Bo Cowgill, Columbia University
"Automation and Subjective Decisionmaking: Theory and Evidence from Resume Screening"
Klaus Zimmermann, visiting Princeton University
"Arsenic Contamination of Drinking Water and Mental Health"
David Abrams, University of Pennsylvania
"To Plea or Not to Plea: Evidence from North Carolina"
Douglas Almond, Columbia University
"Gender and Perinatal Health Among 1 Million American Born Chinese"
April 14 (*Note Time Change - 3:00 - 4:30pm)
(1) Yilin Wu - "How Does Occupational Concentration Pattern of Asian and Hispanic American Affect Their Earnings"
(2) Hyunjoo Jang - "What Factors Matter on Parental Investment in Children’s Education? : Perceived Discrimination, Ethnic Society, Citizenship"
(3) Yuanting Wu - "Does Appearance Matter More for Young People? Evidence from China"
(1) Jieun Choi - "The Impact of School Accountability on Racial Diversity of Peer Groups"
(2) Anica Kramer – visiting Ph.D. student, Uni-Bochum & RWI-Essen - "Does learning trigger learning throughout adulthood? Evidence from employees' training participation"
(3) Won Hyung Lee - "Valuation of Air Quality in Korea: A Discrete Choice Model with Migration Cost"
September 9 (*Note Time change to 3:00pm)
Selin Choi, Rutgers University (Ph.D. Graduate Student)
"Can Cash Transfers Increase the Fertility Rate? A Case Study of the South Korean Birth Encouragement Grant"
Dhammika Dharmapala, University of Chicago
"Estimating the Compliance Costs of Securities Regulation: A Bunching Analysis of Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404(B)"
Benjamin Hansen, University of Oregon
"The Legal Market for Marijuana: Evidence on Tax Incidence, Deadweight Loss and the Elasticity of Supply and Demand"
September 30 (Note Time: 2:00 - 4:00pm)
Han Yen Kao, Rutgers University (Ph.D. Graduate Student)
"Together We Stand? Internal Dynamics of Group Decision Making"
Ju Young Park, Rutgers University (Ph.D. Graduate Student)
"Do Housing Prices Reflect Environmental Risks? Evidence from Korea"
Mike Mueller-Smith, University of Michigan
"Punishment and (non-)Deterrence: Evidence on First-Time Drug Offenders from Regression Discontinuities"
October 14 (Note Time: 2:00 - 4:00pm)
Shuyang Yang, Rutgers University (Ph.D. Student)
"Does Public Health Insurance Improve Health Care Utilization and Outcomes in China? Semi-parametric Estimation of Panel Data …"
Bin Xie, Rutgers University (Ph.D. Student)
"Immigration Quotas and US Manufacturing, 1920-1930"
Han Liu, Rutgers University (Ph.D. Graduate Student)
Howard Bodenhorn, Clemson University
"Blind tigers and red-tape cocktails: Liquor control and homicide in late-nineteenth-century South Carolina"
Lena Edlund, Columbia University
"Bright minds, big rent: Gentrification and the rising returns to skill"
Helen Levy, University of Michigan
"Health Reform, Health Insurance Coverage, and Labor Supply of Older Americans”
Chinhui Juhn, University of Houston
"Getting Away from 9 to 5: Flexible Work Schedules and the Gender Wage Gap”
Ilyana Kuziemko, Princeton University