Distinguished Professor of Economics
Cost-effectiveness methods; Health economics
Institute for Health, Health Care Policy, and Aging Research
112 Paterson Street | 848-932-6507
Louise Russell is Distinguished Professor in the Department of Economics and the Institute for Health, Health Care Policy, and Aging Research. She is an elected member of the National Academy of Medicine (formerly the Institute of Medicine) of the National Academy of Sciences. Professor Russell co-chaired the U.S. Public Health Service Panel on Cost-Effectiveness in Health and Medicine, which published nationally and internationally influential recommendations for improving the quality and comparability of cost-effectiveness studies (Cost-Effectiveness in Health and Medicine, Oxford University Press, 1996, and three articles in The Journal of the American Medical Association, October 1996); she is a member of the leadership group of the Second Panel on Cost-Effectiveness in Health and Medicine. She has published numerous articles and books, including Educated Guesses: Making Policy about Medical Screening Tests (University of California, 1994), Medicare's New Hospital Payment System: Is It Working? (Brookings, 1989), and Is Prevention Better than Cure? (Brookings, 1986).
- Peter J. Neumann, Gillian D. Sanders, Louise B. Russell, Joanna E. Siegel, Theodore G. Ganiats, editors, Cost Effectiveness in Health and Medicine, second edition, New York: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- “The Science of Making Better Decisions about Health: Cost-Effectiveness and Cost-Benefit Analysis,” in Kaplan, RM, David, D, Spittel M, eds., Emerging Behavioral and Social Science Perspectives on Population Health. Washington DC US Government Printing Office, 2015.
- Jane E. Miller, Colleen N. Nugent, Louise B. Russell, “Which Components of Medical Homes Reduce the Time Burden on Families of Children with Special Health Care Needs?” HSR Health Services Research, 50(2): April 2015, 440-461.
- Sun-Young Kim, Louise B. Russell, Jeehyun Park, Jennifer R. Verani, Shabir A. Madhi, Clare L. Cutland, Stephanie J. Schrag, Anushua Sinha, “Cost-effectiveness of a potential group B streptococcal vaccine program for pregnant women in South Africa,” Vaccine, 2014; 32: 1954-1963.
- “Do We Really Value Identified Lives More Highly than Statistical Lives?” Medical Decision Making, 34(5): July 2014, 556-559.